Monday, June 6, 2011

m'mm m'mm monday....

Today's M'mm M'mm Monday post is an easy peasy one.  No difficult recipe here.  Just a quick no-brainer sammy.

Cuz in the summer, I'm all about simplicity. 

Fresh simplicity. 
Yummy simplicity. 

I used to make this every day for lunch.  But because of my protein issues I've switched to Greek yogurt for my go-to lunch.  But on Saturday my man requested this.  And, as I usually do since I'm such a dutiful wife, I acquiesced.  That's just the kinda gal I am. 

What?  Eat a great lunch?  With you?  With cheese?  I guess if you twist my arm....

So I have many variations of my favorite sammy.  I'll just share my versions.  And everyone I've made this for has LOVED it.  Loved it, I tell you. 

So yes, it's simplistic.  Seriously simplistic.  And yet, oh so yummy.

My Veggie Sammy
Wheat Pita Bread
Cheese (cheddar, swiss, Laughing Cow creamy swiss, whatever's getting moldy in the fridge)
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Carrots
Red Onions
Banana Peppers or
Sliced sandwich dill pickles

Halve pita bread.  Toast in toaster.  As soon as it pops up, open it up and put in sliced cheese.  BE CAREFUL!  Steam's gonna come outta that opening.  It will burn you.  You've been warned.  (Ok, this is funny.  I first typed warMed.  You've been warMed.  Yes, once it's outta the toaster you will be warmed.  Ha!  Ok, am I the only one who found that funny???)

Another warning....poor photo quality ahead.  My camera was on an outdoor setting.  Oops.  This was an impromptu lunch.  Halfway thru I realized I should share.  I snagged the camera, but never actually looked at the pics until now.


(If using spreadable cheese, wait til pita cools a bit.) 

Give cheese a chance to get all meltedy (as Paula Deen once said).

Add your veggies.  I like to use a vegetable peeler on my carrots.

Until it looks like this.

On this particular day I used roasted red peppers.  Although I like the sandwich better without them.  But to each her own.  (If you use them, blot on paper towels.)


I also used banana peppers instead of pickles today.  That's just cuz they're growing like weeds in my garden!!  Yeehaw!  (I pickle them in the juice from store-bought banana peppers.  Shh, don't tell.)

If you like mustard/mayo or Ranch add that, too.  Forgot to say that earlier.  Sorry.  Remember, I struggle with technicalities. *wink*


On this particular day, my pita split its sides.  Ha.  Ok, sorry for the pathetic pun.  But come on....that's a little bit funny.  (Another good one.  You'll be singing Elton John all day.  It's a little bit funny......this feeling inside......)

And that, my friends, is that.  Too simple for your sophisticated taste buds?  My apologies.  My taste buds like it just fine.

By the by, I put tons of stuff in pita...do you?  And I prefer it toasted.  Makes it nuttier.  I love to stuff it with a greek salad:  cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, feta, olives, balsamic vinegar.  I eat that constantly in the summer b/c I usually have tons of cucs and tomatoes from the garden.

What's your favorite sam'ich???

No comments:

Post a Comment