Thursday, June 16, 2011

it. is. time.

I have decided it's time.

Yep.  Time.

Time to share with you something I've never shared with anyone ever before.

Ever.

Yes, you should feel the honor.

Today I'm sharing with you..........my meatballs.

Um, well, actually,...my meatball recipe.

{insert trumpet fanfare HERE}

Today I'm sharing with you what my mother shared with me what her mother shared with her.  That her mother shared with her.  That her mother shared with her.  And so on.  I'm sharing a recipe from at least 9 generations.  Yes, I said NINE.

Or it could be Giada de Laurentiis' recipe from the Food Network.

Or it could be the whole nine generational thing. 

Anyway, these are the BEST meatballs.  Of course, I can't really give personal testimony here.  But judging from how my man devours them, cries when he discovers it's meatball night, has to change shirts mid-meal, and requests them as his last meal if ever separated from me, and how Bubba eats the meatballs and leaves the spaghetti, then yeah....I'd say these are the best.

{I just reached for a pair of reading glasses only to find one lens missing.  That's what I get for making Bubba take them off and return them. *sigh*}

It is at this juncture of the post that I'm going to try to refrain from any jokes while sharing this meatBALL recipe.  I'm gonna take the high ball road and keep it all age appropriate.  And not make any immature remarks.

But just know that I'm thinking them.

Recipe:
1 small onion, grated


1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

1 large egg

3 tablespoons ketchup

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

2/3 cup grated Parmesan

1/4 cup dried Italian-style bread crumbs

6 ounces ground beef

6ounces ground veal**

6 ounces ground pork

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (if frying them)

 
There is just NOTHING appealing about that picture.  Ick.  But stick with me (ok, that's funny).  That's what it looks like all together.
 
Whisk together first 7 ingredients.  Stir in bread crumbs and cheese.  Add meat.
 
**I have never found ground veal around here.  I add extra beef and pork.**
 
Form them into balls {teehee} whatever size you like.  (Oh, my.  I need to grow up.)
 
I usually do about 1 1/2"-2".  This last go 'round I think I came out with about 28-30 meatballs.  Some I made smaller for the kiddos though.
The original recipe from my great-great-ever-so-great-grandmother says to fry them in olive oil.  And you can certainly do that.  I used to.  But I got sick of standing there babysitting them while my inmates ran the asylum.  So I now bake them at 350.  Not sure for how long {sorry, but you should be used to my cooking by now} flipping them over halfway thru baking.

Tip:  foil line your rimmed baking sheet.  Less clean up.  Rah-rah.  Shishkoombah.

Add them to your marinara sauce.  {Recipe to follow}

This particular night I toasted ciabatta bread for my man and made a sub, complete with melted mozzarella.  You could also use provolone.  Last night I made spaghetti for the leftovers.

Do you have a good marinara sauce recipe?  I'll share mine.  But it's nothing fancy.

Saute a few cloves of garlic (depending on taste) in olive oil.  Do NOT burn.

I've shared my burnt garlic story before, right?  I'm known at Big Cedar Lodge as the Garlic Lady.  Apparently some neighbors didn't appreciate the smell.  And asked for another room.  They should've just come on over.  I would've shared.  Stingy I am not.

Add crushed tomatoes.  Or crush them in the blender or food processor if you have whole, diced or fresh. Add pepper.  If using canned tomatoes I never add salt.

Right now, with fresh herbs growing like weeds in my garden, I use fresh basil and oregano.  In the winter when I don't have those I use dried oregano my parents brought me from Greece.  {hands down, the BEST dried oregano ever!!!!}  I don't typically use dried basil in this. And occasionally I add crushed red pepper.  But last time I went a little heavy with it and Bubba and my man t'weren't happy with me.

Add everything to your taste.  I have no idea amounts I use b/c I just throw it in til it tastes yummy.  {Don't you love getting recipes from me????}  This sauce also tastes better if it's simmered for awhile.  So start it first, before whatever you're serving with it.  And make extra for bread dipping.  *wink*

So what's your secret ingredient in your marinara?  Have a good meatball recipe?  Proud that I limited myself in my immature humor?  Me too.  Me.  Too.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Amy! I just clicked over from your comment on the Meg's craft weekend post...I am reading Radical right now and saw your button. That's great stuff. Working through the dailyness of putting it into practice is tough, but good. :)

    ReplyDelete