Saturday nights we like to try new recipes. And this time of year I start looking for easy recipes. We don't have really simple palates, (ok, just typing that sounds so freakin' funny) which means I ain't lookin' for bland, just easy.
Basically, I'd rather spend all my time outside. And still have some good eats. And different eats.
So y'all know one of my favorite blogs. Well, one day she posted links to a few recipes. And that's where I found this one.
Now y'all know me, so you'll be shocked when I say this....BUT I didn't change a thing in this recipe. WHAT?!?! I know. I know. I. Know.
So here goes:
(To my sweet friend S who has recently become vegan, this is not one of my vegetarian /vegan recipes I'll be sharing with you. In other words, read no further!)
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
(Please read the words BBQ as "bar-be-chew" and "chicken" in a Cajun accent...like chi-kone. Thank you.)
4 chicken breasts (or however many...I did 5 cuz I walk on the wild side)
18 oz barbecue sauce (she recommends Sweet Baby Ray's and I can't believe it BUT I found it at my Walmart! Score!)
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c Italian dressing (I used Kraft House Lite)
2 T worcestshire sauce (or what's-this-here-sauce, as my Dad calls it)
Now here's where I almost mixed it up: the Italian dressing. Not a big fan of throwing in salad dressings in stuff. Takes me back to early in my marriage when I actually followed a Kraft recipe to the T. I put ranch dressing in a hot dish....the smell was revolting...and to date it's the only thing I've ever made my man wouldn't eat. I gag thinking of it. {gag}
Sweet Baby Ray's is AWESOME bbq sauce. I mean, seriously. I know it sounds funny coming from a vegetarian, but I freakin' love me some bbq sauce. Like, I could bathe in it.
Put chicken in your crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and then dump over the chicken. The recipe says to cook on low 6-8 hours, on high 3-4. Clearly the writer of this recipe doesn't have my super-duper-quicker-cooker. Mine was done in 3 hours on low....and shhh.....my chicken was still mostly frozen. Cuz that's just how I roll.
Shred chicken. Butter and toast some rolls. We used sesame ones cuz that's what the mister prefers.
And b/c this is NOT a food blog and I choose feeding my starving family over taking pics, this is all you get.
I stopped Bubba mid bite and took a pic. Poor kid. Seriously, he'll probably be in therapy one day b/c of his mother.
I served mine with oven fries b/c my family LOVES them. However, I didn't use the recipe posted with this bbq recipe. She used sugar in hers. Um, nooooo. All I do is cut my taters in the desired shape. Throw on a foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
Then I drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper them. Cook at 400 for about 40 minutes. If thicker tater slices (like steak fries) I flip them over halfway through cooking.
Dip 'em in Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce. And then thank me for sharing.




No comments:
Post a Comment