Wednesday, April 27, 2011

easy cheesy

Is it cheesy?  Or cheesEy?  Hmmm.  I usually write cheesEy.  But today I didn't.  I wonder why?


That's the deep philosophical stuff that goes through my brain.  Deep, isn't it?


So it's been awhile since I've shared a recipe for M'mm M'mm Monday.  So why not today????


Yes, I realize it's Wednesday.  So what.  We'll call it Www-Www-Wednesday.  Wet Wednesday is more like it.


Wow.  That literally took seconds to come up with.  Amazing, yes?


Last night, during the storms and even while sending my children to the closet for quiet safety, I made one of our favorite pasta dishes.  Again, it has no name.  It's one of my Dad's creations.  We call it olive oil spaghetti. 

Or if you're Bubba, olive oil guspetti.  *wink*  Love that kid.


It's quick.
It's easy.
You'll probably have all the ingredients.
You'll probably thank me after you try it.
Enjoy.
And you're welcome.


Ingredients
Pasta -- spaghetti, thin spaghetti, linguine, fettucine, whatever's in the pantry.  I use thin spaghetti.  But whatever your pleasure.
Garlic
Sliced black olives
Sliced almonds
Salt/Pepper
Parmesan Cheese


* Boil pasta.


After dumping pasta in boiling SALTED water,
All photos were taken with my phone.  I had moved all electronic and valuable items to the designated tornado closet.  I don't normally do this, but I was feeding 3 kids in case of a tornado and making this dish for my man and me.  I couldn't really pay attention to the weather.  The sirens sounded. They went to the closet (with full bellies).  I cooked.
* Add olive oil to hot skillet.  Not really sure how much....a few tablespoons though.  Maybe a 1/4 cup?  I know, I know.  If I had thought about it last night I would've done exact measurements.  Boo me.  I get it.  Just add enough to be able to coat each strand of pasta.


* Add handful of sliced almonds.  You still want them crunchy, or at least I do, but saute for just a bit.  Coat in olive oil.  I was out of sliced so I had to slice my own.  This is not recommended.


* Add 3 (or more) cloves of chopped garlic.  Not sure how garlicy you like stuff, but I use at least 3 big cloves.  Although last night I used 2 b/c the cloves were gi-normous.  Like garlic on steroids.  Metal note:  start buying organic garlic. 


* Don't burn garlic.  Have I ever shared the story of chasing away next door neighbors at Big Cedar Lodge b/c I burned garlic?  True story.  And very, very hilarious.  The staff greeted me the rest of our stay as, "Hey!  It's the garlic lady!"  You just can't make this stuff up, people.


* Salt/Pepper.  At this point, if you like anchovies, you could throw in some chopped anchovies instead of salting.  Just a thought....


* Throw in sliced olives.  This is my man's favorite part....and my least.  So he gets my helping, but I usually do about 1/2 c or more.  If using little cans of pre-sliced I'd probably do 2...if you're an olive fan.


* Add cooked pasta.


* Toss.  You want each strand of pasta to be coasted in the olive oil "sauce."  If you think you need more, go ahead and add some.

* Cheeeeeeze.  Sometimes I add the parm to this...and then top with more.  Cuz I'm cheesEy like that.  But it does make the pasta harder to toss with all that gooey deliciousness.  So you can wait.  If you have that much will power.


Typically, I do not.


And enjoy.  Serve with good bread.

Again, sorry for the photo quality.  I was hungry.  Even though I had let the kids emerge from the closet, my camera was still there.  I wasn't walking the 46 steps to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment