Monday, February 21, 2011

a kinda sorta tutorial

It is no secret that I am a crafter.  In the seconds upon seconds of free time I have, I usually like to drink hot tea with lemon and watch Golden Girls craft. 

Quite honestly, can you really call yourself a crafter when you rarely do it?  Well, in this house I have a craft room.  So hopefully that makes me sound more like a real true-blue crafter.  le sigh.

A few have asked, so here goes.  This is the wreath I made for my front door.



I'm slightly obsessed with addicted to yarn wreaths.  And they are super simple to make.  Take a $2.99 straw wreath from Hobby Lobby.  Do NOT remove the plastic wrap around it.  This keeps the wreath together AND makes the yarn easier to wrap.  I repeat:  DO NOT remove it!  You will want to.  Self-control.  Self-control.


Pick a yarn color.  Start wrapping.  Hot glue one end or tie a knot to get it to stay in place when you first begin.  Wrap all the way around.  This is probably when you can catch up on all those shows you've got DVRd but never have time to watch.  Or maybe you can watch an entire season of Gilmore Girls.  Or Golden Girls.  Whatever your pleasure.  (What is it with me and double G shows???  And shows with the word "girls" in the title?!  I need professional help.)



After wrapping, just decorate it.  Come on and get crafty.  I went fairly simplistic.  (I was just as shocked as you.)  I used heart cookie cutters (I always use my plethora of cookie cutters as templates) and cut out the shapes on felt and fleece.  Different colors.  Whatever your fancy.

I made a yarn pom pom (another obsession addiction) in one fabulous aqua color.  I then hot glued everything on.  The red beads wrapped around the wreath was a leftover strand from a project for Doh Doh's room that never came to fruition.



I just happened to have some wide red/white polka dot ribbon that someone who knows yet another of my addictions for all things red and white and polka dotty had used as a bow on a present for me.  Bless her heart.  I took said fabu-loh-so ribbon and wrapped it around the wreath.

And voila!  A cute little Valentine wreath.


And just wait until you see the ones I have for Fall.  Ooh-la-la..............

But Spring is in the air.  So coming soon, a Spring wreath.  I warn you:  yarn will probably be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment