Wednesday, February 16, 2011

it's time

It's time for Spring.

Yep.  Definitely time.

Time to put on my overalls from back in the grunge days, throw on some old clogs, and dig my fingers deep into the earth.  Time to start mapping out my garden at my new house.  Time to start dropping subtle hints to my dad what I'd like him to grow in his gi-normous garden.

Time.

The warmer weather is not my only clue that Spring is tantalizing us.  My desire to be outside from sun up to sun down is not my only inkling.  My winter-induced depression that seems to be wilting is not my only proof.  My incessant desire to make pico de gallo everyday is not my only telltale sign.

But first I have to back up a bit.  On the menu for dinner tonight was supposed to be vegetable stir fry.  Around 4 this afternoon, while sitting at the barbershop feeding M&Ms to a fussy little girl and desperately ready to see one set of blue eyes and one set of brown out from underneath overgrown hair, I got a text from my man.  Still full from lunch.  No big shocker there.  Stir fry was crossed off the list.

Which meant we got to have what I like to call Pick Your Poison, or PYP.  (Which of course always makes me belt out Michael Jackson's PYT, Pretty Young Thing.  Oh come on.  You know you were thinking it, too.  No?  Bet you are now.....)

My kids love Pick Your Poison night.  Tonight 2 chose quesadillas (can you really call it choosing at 21 months and you shake your head yes at everything???) and 1 chose nachos (with jalapenos....how many 6 y/o like jalapenos?).  This meal, of course, required chips and salsa.

And then it hit me.


This is all that remains of Nana & Grandad's homemade salsa.

I begged, pleaded.  Wouldn't you rather have Pace Picante Sauce?  I mean, surely I have a jar of that somewhere in the pantry.  "No! No! No!" they cried.  Well, what about taco sauce?  You can dip chips in taco sauce.  "No!  No!  No!" they cheered.  "There's only one salsa for us!"  (Ok, I'm totally taking artistic license with this scene here....but I'm not too far off, waxing poetically or not.)

The beloved salsa they were served.  What you see above is what remains.  And that has to get us through until our gardens are overflowing; my skin is brown again....well, browner than usual; my face is make-up free and loving it; and I am smiling 24/7 again.

That jar above is how I know.  It's definitely time for Spring.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I love that you call it "Pick Your Poison" Nite. We always say, "Fend for yourself" Nite, but of course, the girls can't really fend for themselves...Ha!
    About the border, try this...Click on Edit HTML, Scroll down until you see something like this:
    #header-wrapper {
    margin:0 2% 10px;
    border:0px solid $bordercolor;
    }

    #header {
    margin: 5px;
    border: 0px solid $bordercolor;
    text-align: center;
    color:$pagetitlecolor;ng
    See how I have a "0" next to border? Change your numbers to "0" as well. Try it and let me know.

    ReplyDelete