Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Whatcha...Eating?

Before I start, I just have to tell you what is going on right at this very moment. Bruiser is playing Legos and building a house. I, of course, will have to close my eyes, stumble my way into the living room, for the big reveal. It's our little tradition. BUT as he's building this masterpiece he is singing. No real song, just singing what he's doing. "I'm buildin' Way-goes, buildin' a house for Momma and Doh Doh. It's awesome. Momma's gonna wuv it." He's humble, ya know.


So the #1 question I'm asked when people find out I'm a vegetarian is What kind of freak are you? What do you EAT?

Well, I'm going to tell you. But first, I'm must start with two confessions:

Sometimes I'm cruel. I lie and tell people I believe being a vegetarian is biblical, and that I eat the John the Baptist diet: locusts and honey. It's entertaining.

Second confession: My name is Amy and I'm a carbohydrate addict. It's pathetic, really. I think I've become this way b/c I've been so lacking in the protein department. Carbs give a quick fix. Ok, therapy session is over.

I'm going to tell you what I really eat. (And it ain't locusts, that's for sure. Honey, yes. Locusts, no.) This is usually breakfast. (Notice the 2 straws. One for me, one for Bruisr. Every morning when he hears the blender he says, "How 'bout you and me share dat?")


We call it a smoothie, but it's really a protein shake. I have a lot of trouble getting even the minimum recommended amount of protein, and have had trouble losing weight b/c of it. So I've started adding protein powder to my morning smoothies.

Recipe:
1 1/4 c Chocolate soy milk (there's more protein in soy milk)
1 scoop of Nature's Plus Spirulein powder, vanilla flavored
1 c frozen strawberries


Blend together and voila! It's just like a milkshake! My kids LOVE it. It's great w/o the protein powder as well.

This was lunch on Monday. I normally do a raw food lunch, b/c you know these pounds aren't going to fall off by themselves. In fact, everyday for lunch I have two kiwi, an apple, and whatever fruits are in season: nectarines, plums, strawberries, etc. But Monday I splurged and had a black bean patty burger. I've found these new multigrain "buns" that only have 100 calories in them!


I mix lite sour cream with taco sauce, spread that on both sides of the bun. Then I add whatever to the mix: lettuce, tomatoes, sandwich stacker pickles, sliced carrots, sprouts...whatever I have on hand.

Monday night's dinner was a new soup recipe. It was pretty tasty. Definitely Old Skool. It reminded me a little of canned veggie soup, minus all the nasty preservatives, MSG, etc. It has a great fresh taste to it and barley, which I absolutely LOVE. (It's a carb...what's not to love?)


Last night I took dinner to my friend L who just had her second baby girl. SHE IS GORGEOUS! Oh, I held that baby last night and didn't want to let her go! I was anxious to get back home to my Doh Doh and love on her, too. Anyway, I made strawberry spinach salad, penne alfredo, and lemon bars. The alfredo actually gets bacon crumbled on the top of it and a dusting of green onions. I, obviously, leave off the bacon, but I put it on for my family and for others.


I don't have good pictures of the meal b/c after dropping it off I headed to Zumba to try to work off the horrible injustices I have done to my body baby weight PLUS some. Chaos always ensues while I'm making dinner for a friend. I was more concerned about keeping the boys off the ceiling fans, the computer in one piece, and Doh Doh in a happy mood with fruit puffs than taking pictures for my little ole blog. My man was in charge of assembling his own food while I shook my groove thing. I ended up skipping dinner myself b/c, while alfredo is one of my all-time FAVES, it ain't good for the hips. SO I opted for shaking those hips at Zumba instead of feeding them. What's the saying? Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. Riiiiiight.

If you want recipes, let me know.

You aren't going to make ME be a vegetarian...are you, Momma?

No comments:

Post a Comment