Monday, January 25, 2010

Whatcha...Reading?

Ok, so today starts the first installment in the "Whatcha" series. No, seriously.

I told several people about reading "The Family Manager" and so I've been asked by tons of you if I gleaned any morsels of knowledge from it. I also quoted another book the other day that I've started to read. So I just decided to share my latests and greatests. (I know you are on pins and needles.)

I stumbled on some blog (can't remember whose, can't remember how I even got there) and they recommended this book.


Ever since Doh Doh was born I have had trouble getting "back into the swing of things" now that I have a new little addition. Bubba also started kindergarten this year. We thought we were being SO smart by signing him up for half-day. Rookie mistake. (And although we could change it, I just can't do it. This is my last time to be able to have him half-day. I need this time with him. And it's been so much fun.) But it's hard. Especially when it's time to pick him up and this is what I have to wake up. And put in a cold car.....



Anyway, I've had trouble getting my household back into order. "The Family Manager" is a good book. But I have to say, it has not been life-altering. In fact, it's pretty much like any other book I've read on this topic. And yet, it was different enough to spark some changes in me. Here it is in a nut-shell:

1. She (Kathy Peel) recommends, as do SO MANY others on this subject, a 10-minute approach. "Ten-minutes-a-day battle plan: conquering clutter during free time." She lists many tasks that can be completed in 10 minutes and she gives a battle plan. Well, this time it stuck. I've realized there are a lot of clutter spots in my house that I put off b/c I don't have the time. And yet, they can be (and many already have been) accomplished in 10 minutes.

2. Peel also lists things she cleans weekly, monthly, 2x year, and yearly. Some are things I've NEVER cleaned in my life. Ever. (Do YOU wash your walls once a year? Seriously? How 'bout vacuuming the grill from the bottom of the fridge? Freak.)

3. BUT one of the most important things I gleaned from this freak of nature author: my 5-year old could be doing a LOT more than he is. She lists chores by age and while Bubba and Bruiser do a LOT of chores around the house, there are things they are old enough to be helping with now.

So I also quoted this book the other day and I'm sad to say that I've only read the preface.


It comes highly recommended from some friends and I know I'm going to love it...if I ever get to read it. And if the preface is anything like the rest of the book, it will be life-altering.

And, thanks to my mother-in-law, I've also got this little jewel to sort thru.


I've lost count on how many cookbooks she's given me. I think it's just b/c she wants to prop up her feet and watch me do all the work to sample my cooking. (Is that right, Nona? Haha! Thanks for the book, by the way!!)

Next is this book. The latest from Julie Klassen, a wonderful Christian fiction author. If you enjoy fiction and haven't tried Christian fiction you absolutely have to! If you already read Christian fiction and are looking for some great reading, check out Julie Klassen. This is only her third book, but you'd think she'd been writing for decades.


I have several WONDERFUL Christian authors I recommend, but my favorite is Lawana Blackwell. If you enjoy Jane Austen then Blackwell is a MUST. I have all of her books and will gladly share......

And last, but certainly not least, is my Bible. I'm reading through the Bible this year and although I'm ashamed to admit it, this is my first time to do so. I'm sure over the years I've read almost all, if not all, of the Bible. But I've mostly read through it chronologically (especially in college). But with the One-Year Bible plan it has you reading in Old Testament, New Testament, and then back to Old in Psalms, Proverbs, etc. It's fun to flip back and forth. It's not too late to start. (I'm behind, but catching up!) I encourage you to join me in this. (Reading the Bible, that is. Not the being behind part!)

Join me tomorrow for the second installment of the "Whatcha" series. We're delving into vegetarian cooking for "Whatcha Eatin'?" I know, I know. How can you wait another day? I'm addictive like that.

1 comment:

  1. I love love LOVE Shepherding A Child's Heart! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete