I recently began sewing again. (I say “again” as if I ever really did any sewing before. Let’s just say I am the only one with a theatre degree who didn’t sew a stitch in costuming. Thank you, Ms. Joy.) We have a group at church who meets once a month to learn to sew. Our first project was an apron. Mine is still sitting in my sewing box. The others wore theirs for Christmas baking. Mine still needs ric-rac. And a pocket.
I really have enjoyed sewing. And my mentor/teacher is amazing. Yet I seem to be able to sew better when she is around. Or rather when all her supplies are around. She has two sewing rooms at her house. She has multiple machines, including a serger. She has one large table for measuring, cutting, blah, blah, blah. She brings all her supplies to church when we meet. My plan was to make bibs for Doh Doh (I promise to explain our nicknames in a future post). But my boys have been begging for pillowcases. See, I’m one of THOSE moms who doesn’t allow cartoon character items like clothing, sheets, bedding, etc. But pillowcases can be hidden behind all the decorative pillows on their bed. So the other day I made 3 pillowcases for my boys. Count them: three.
For the choo-choo lover.
For my Cars lover.
That was Thursday. Today is…well, NOT Thursday.
This weekend I did something I’ve really not done since becoming a momma. I planned a crafting afternoon. And so after church, and after lunch out with friends, I came home and got everyone situated. Then I began to get my craft on. I sanded a bookshelf to be painted later. And then I got out the
Yes, it’s a hand-me-down from Grandmother. What was once in a case has been removed and put on my dining room table. However, it doesn’t really work outside the case, so sewing a straight line, curved line, or really anything at all is near impossible.
I attempted multiple bibs. And because I enjoy a good hearty laugh at my own expense, I’m sharing the hilarity.
My inspiration. Bought at a cute little baby boutique that just opened here in town.
What's up with that notch for the neck?
I'd show the others, but just imagine my attempt at REVERSIBLE bibs. Two different kinds of fabric with terry cloth that SHOULD have been in the middle.
And because I still had a few marbles rolling around up there, I attempted another pillowcase. Only this time I threw in two kinds of fabric because, ya know, I hadn’t yet used up my entire vocabulary of swear words.
Looks pretty doesn't it? From afar....
Check out that
I’m not giving up. My man thinks, however, that this is my attempt at getting a new sewing machine. While I wouldn’t put that past me, I think I need to improve sewing a straight line before I spend my shoe money on sewing related items.




Crack me up!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the cartoon character stuff...Imagine Disney princess bedding, clothing, wall paper border, etc. I would die! I'm with you on the hidden stuff, though!