Saturday, January 16, 2010

Today I Can Count on 2....

Last night my man & I went to the movies. I know, the world just heard a collective gasp from everyone. Yesterday I could count on one hand how many times we've gone to the movies together in our almost 11-year marriage. Today I can count on two.



It seems fitting, for those who know us well, that we would see a movie about musical theatre football. Every year, we clear our calendars the day of the NFL draft. It's a big day in this household. And I remember the day that Oher was drafted by the Ravens. As his family came up on stage to join him, I was more than slightly intrigued. Any time you have a 6'4", 309 lbs black boy with, let's be honest, Norman Rockwell and his gang (not to mention the fact that the momma and sister are pretty hot...it's the football world, people) it raises just a few eyebrows. Brian filled me in on the scoopage. Not long after, he told me they were making a movie. I assumed a little ole made-for-TV gig, that would inevitably show up on Lifetime with Meredith Baxter and completely be ignored and ridiculed by ME.

At home I can't sit through an entire movie without getting up to "do a few things." And, I'll admit, I have trouble doing that at the movies as well. In fact, next time I might wear Depends just to keep from cramping up towards the end. But there are some movies you see that you just have to see on the big screen. There's just something about sitting in the dark theatre with a screen the size of Texas and the volume turned up so loud that all my eyelashes fall out during the opening credits. I'm pretty selective, b/c I tend to be pretty impacted by some movies. Some just change your life. I remember watching "You've Got Mail." I was totally pumped up about opening a bookstore. (Thankfully, some big pots belong on the back burner.) Or at least changing my email address to shopgirl. (That one never happened either. Evidently I was not the only one who saw this flick.) I did, however, get Meg Ryan's haircut. Not quite my own bookstore, but it was a pretty cute 'do.

Anyway........If you are a Momma to boys, as I am, you will be able to relate to Momma Touhy in this flick. I can't tell you how many times I teared up at how much this big ole boy loved his new Momma. At how protective he was of her. This is my Bruiser.



He is the Momma's Boy to end all Momma's Boys. Him wuvs his Momma. Bubba does too, but Bruiser is completely unashamed at his attachment to me (at least for now...he's 3). Bubba is a little more subtle in his devotion to me. And so as I sat in that dark theatre, hoping my weak bladder would see me thru, I kept thinking about my boys. And just how truly blessed we are.

2 comments:

  1. ok, I'm going to LOVE reading your posts. You are too funny. By the way, my email address? shellgirl. It's as close to shopgirl as I could get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Amy! I love it! Welcome to the blog world.

    ~Sandy

    ReplyDelete