Monday, May 9, 2011

m'mm m'mm monday

I'm trying to start the week off right.  So I'm posting a simple recipe for M'mm M'mm Monday.  I'll add another post later on Mother's Day, birthdays, and how I spent the day nursing 2 sick kids.

Well, actually one sick kid and one very fussy little birthday girl.  Who then woke up with fever this morning.

But back to foodie talk.

It's that time of year!  Where these


will soon be ripe.  And ready to indulge my summer-loving tastebuds.

And so I give you my most beloved recipe.  Ok, perhaps 'most beloved' is a tad too strong a phrase.

Well, maybe not.

And so I give you my bruschetta recipe.

Now, before we go any further my anal retentive ways must take precedence.  I will admit that it is rare that my perfectionist ways rear their ugly head (name that poem) but we're talking food here, people.  And because of years of studying languages and working with diction coaches I must beg of you to pronounce the "ch" in bruschetta as we would a "k" sound in English.  M'kay? 

That's as far as I'll go.  I won't talk about the "u" sound or the double "t" sound......

Ok, food.  Food.  Foooood.


What ya need:
tomatoes
basil (fresh & only fresh, please)
garlic
salt/pepper
olive oil
onion (shh, that's my secret ingredient)

Dice tomatoes.  Chiffonade the fresh basil.  (Roll it up and cut it, turning it into ribbon-like confetti.) Chop garlic OR use garlic powder.  If I'm making a single serving I use powder.  Dice onion.  That's my secret ingredient.  Feel free to make it traditionally and omit, but I like the kick it gives.  Just remember to not go overboard on the onion.  It is a co-star here, not the main attraction.

Drizzle with olive oil (optional).  Again, if making a single serving I usually omit this step and just save on the calories/fat.  Salt and generously pepper.


Top with parmesan.  Serve with a nice crunchy baguette, toasted or not. 

I eat this for lunch almost every day in the summer, when tomatoes are plentiful and my basil is begging to be picked.  Since I don't always have baguette on hand I like to use water crackers.  Bubba and I have been known to lay away an entire box at lunchtime. 

But my addictions are a topic for another post. *wink*

Feel free to serve with whatever you've got on hand.  Or just eat it by the spoonful.


Now, tell me truly, do you love me?  How much are you singing my praises right now?


I think I need a second bowl. *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment