Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Dad Makes Money

This, according to Bubba, is what his Daddy's job is.

Yesterday one of the other kindergarten teachers at school asked Bubba what his Daddy's job is. Evidently, and according to 2 of the 3 kindergarten teachers, they go on the playground and ask for their daily Bubba story. Well, of course THEY don't call him Bubba. But for the purposes of this blog, they ask for a Bubba story. They find him amusing, funny. But then, who wouldn't? He's a little old man wrapped up in a 5-year old body.



So this particular teacher asked his Daddy's job. He came home and relayed the story to me. Bubba shrugged, and answered, "He makes money."

Wow. As his Daddy said, he's wise beyond his years. (Holding in my giggling here.)

I can only imagine the setting. The teacher, who I must say is a beautiful mid-40ish woman who is SO stylish and just elegantly cute, is probably intrigued what a Dad of a little old man kindergartener does. (It's rare when you have a 5-year old who can converse with teachers as easily as a normal kindergartener converses with dirt.) I mean, does this Dad hold the same car key obsession as Bubba? Is he too fascinated by keychains, pencil sharpeners, and calculators?

I can answer that. Calculators, yes. All the other, no.

The teacher, trying to help jog his memory, asked if his Daddy was a doctor. It worked. Bubba then replied, "Uh, nooo. He's an engineer."

And I have no doubt that the lightbulb then went off in this precious teacher's head. Suddenly it made sense. Calculators, pencils, erasers, button-down shirts...I'm sure she had a clearer picture than she did 2 minutes before.



On another note, do you enjoy slow cooker cooking? I love it. What's not to love? Throw your stuff in the pot, the kitchen stays cool, and voila! Dinner's ready in one-pot, ready to chunk place on the table. Yee. Haw. I don't, however, have very many vegetarian slow cooker recipes. Well, today I stumbled upon this blog. A year's worth of slow cooker recipes! I repeat: Yee. Haw. And lots of vegetarian recipes. I'm anxious to try them.

You see, we're in a food rut here. Doh Doh's fussy time is always when I need to begin prepping dinner.



I also have been HORRIBLE about meal planning. This month I restocked my pantry (which was great, but EXPENSIVE) and I've not even cooked that much. It's hard when you have an awesome hubby...who eats out lunch EVERY day. I often get texts telling me he's not interested in dinner. Well, sigh. And so I get lazy. And the boys get used to choosing their own dinner. (I'm soooo not in favor of this, but since little Doh Doh arrived they've gotten to do this a lot. Which makes it hard - and let's be honest, slightly unfair - when you sit down and announce THIS is dinner, whether you like it or not.)

So I'm hoping this slow cooker blog helps me out of the rut. And inspires me to be better about meal planning. Better about using staples in my pantry. Better about shopping lists. Better about making my kids eat what's put in front of them ("without arguing or complaining," my favorite Scripture of EVERY day). Better about a happy family meal.

I think I need to remember it's a blog of recipes. Not a wand.

So, share your favorite recipes! Anything vegetarian? Not to worry. I feed 3 meat-eaters here. So just share away.

I will share my most-requested slow cooker recipe. It's pork chops, so if you don't eat pork (we don't eat much, but I have 3 fellas who LOVE pig...where did I go wrong?) then I'll let you know how her crockpot mac-n-cheese turns out. It just might be dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment