Perhaps one day I'll blog about the years I spent in a decorating repression.
Perhaps not. Ahem. I'll sum it up with this: I spent years in a decorating repression. How's that for concise? What? More info needed? Well, as a newlywed I found myself in a home that wasn't what I pictured in my head for many years. I wasn't in the job I had trained for. I wasn't even in a job I liked. I was in a town I had sworn I'd never return to. And other than my loving man by my side, life just wasn't what I had....well, envisioned.
That's because {I} was trying to plan my life. I was not letting {Him} plan my life.
So over the years I just phased myself out. In pretty much everything. We also had made the decision to move, always saying our first house was a starter house. So after
Fast forward 6 years. That six is not a typo.
I now find myself in a home I love. A home that feels like it belongs to me. A home I want to be a family in.
I learned to love my old house. I was beyond richly blessed in that house. Three children, an amazing husband, a wonderful neighbor who turned into the greatest of friends.... God took what I thought was a burden and turned it into a blessing. He's quirky like that.
(Side note: I'm listening to Doh Doh and Bruiser fake cough while they eat lunch. Bruiser started with a real cough. And the Bird (what her Daddy and I have started calling her) turned into a mocking bird to join in with her big brother. Hi-larious entertainment.)
Ok, I'm fininshed with the therapeutic blogging for now. I have some dark years in there that aren't pretty. But hey, who doesn't? Don't say you don't. You'd be lying. I'm thankful God uses cracked pots.
Our bedroom is a major hang out in this family. It is currently the only room in the house with a working DVD player. And since Santa delivered Toy Story 3 in Doh Doh's stocking, a DVD player is of mucho mucho importance these cold wintery days.
When sick, the kids sleep with us. We have weekly slumber parties where Dad is booted off to the boys' room and I get two snuggle buddies. We wrestle. We giggle. We use our room a LOT.
But long ago I had drawn weary of our bedding. It was dark. It was matchy matchy. (I'm certainly not matchy matchy.) The stuffing was even falling out of the pillows. It was time. But I was unsure if my man would agree to what vision was in my head. So we went shopping.
And he picked out almost exactly what we already had. Same color scheme. (He picked the bedding before as well.) I walked away empty handed, despite the 50% off sale.
Two nights later I couldn't even sleep. Seriously. I knew in my head what I wanted and where to get it. I was afraid with the holidays it would be gone. Every time I drifted off to sleep and woke up my thoughts would return to this bedding. I can honestly say this has NEVER happened to me before. But that night was rough. The next morning I set out on my adventure...finding way more than enough. I came home with about 10 different options. And then had to choose what worked best...for us.
This was my before. Taken from the old house. Forgot to take one at this house. Oh well.
I actually have a much better picture of our room, but for some reason only half of the picture is showing up. How bizarre is that??
In our house now our bedroom walls are an olive green color. The first time I walked in the house I said it would be the first room I painted. Ironically it was the ONLY room in the house we did NOT paint. We didn't have bedding chosen at the time. AND the entire house was so desperate for a paint job that we were exhausted by the time it was all over. We went from painting 2 rooms to almost everything. Now that I have new bedding I'd like a color change, but the Mister won't hear of it.
So now the reveal. Ha. It's anything but. You'll notice I show nothing of the rest of the room. It's full of artwork not yet hung, DVDs Doh Doh likes to carry around, and the old bedding taking a much needed rest.
Disregard the fan on the floor. We use it as a noise maker. Also disregard the old quilt on the trunk. My great grandmother's. I got it out from my grandmother's trunk and there it still sits. Bubba likes to curl up with it.
Best story of the day: When I took the quilt out of the trunk Bubba snuggled up with it, smelling it. {We're a family of sniffers. Have I ever mentioned that???} "Ahhh," he said. "It smells so good. It smells like the 1980s."
True story. I almost wet myself. That kid is one seriously funny dude.
The view above you can see into our bathroom. That's another post for another time. Thoughts on the pastels??
The red/white ruffle pillowcases I already had from years ago. They won't be staying. I'm looking for something else. But they're here for now.
I was going for an aqua and red look, but just loved these pillows. I brought them all home and threw them up there. After I mentioned the red/white scheme to my man he said he liked this better. He even loved the orange pillow! Shocker.
Green is supposed to be a neutral color. Perhaps the wall color will stay. It has to right now b/c the Mister will not be holding a paint brush again any time soon.
I would love to put our bed in storage and make a headboard to look like an old barn door. LOVE that look. But I think I better not push it. I've gotten the Mister to sleep on pastels. I'm gonna draw the line.
Now I feel like I need to change my nightstand and lamps. But it works for now.
It is two quilts -- one a taupe-like color, the other folded up at the bottom is an aqua bluish color. The sheets are white with the trim a yellow with white polka dots. (LOVE. IT.) Everything is from Target. Yes, Target.
Did you notice the price tags still on the pillows? How's that for a fear of commitment????












Love it! It actually makes your bed stand out more that it did...Seriously, I never really noticed your bed, but now...it's Wow! Good job!
ReplyDelete