Sunday, January 16, 2011

fit for a princess

Doh Doh's room.  Oh so cute.  Not finished.  But cute. 

I've waited to do this reveal b/c I made something to hang above her bed.  Inspired by my favorite blog.  Go to that link.  Check out the creation hanging from the ceiling.

After collecting items for months, I sat down and began my creation.  Let me say...it is harder than it looks.  But I was halfway finished.  And I set out to attempt to hang it from the ceiling.

uh.  oh.

Yeah, I had no idea how to hang it.  I tried a few different venues.  Almost knocked down Doh Doh's ceiling fan.  Also found her almost to the top of the ladder when I briefly turned my back. 

And I gave up.

I emailed Ashley, blogger/photographer/crafter extraordinaire.  And after probably freaking her out in my first paragraph about how much I love her blog, I questioned how she hung it.  She responded.  It involves dowel rods, screws, and other oh-so-simplisticness that I can't even wrap my head around right now.  If my creation were complete it would be hanging there now.  But alas, it is not. 

And then precious, precious DD smushed my favorite paper lantern.  Attempts at revival have not yet been made. 

So I'm revealing 3/4 of her room.  Something will either be above her bed or on the walls.  Some of you will notice her monogram collage paintings I did before she was born are not on the walls in this room.  Can't decide if I'm using them or not.

Shut up and show photos.  Right?

This is the main wall.  I still have a few things to add.  But I've moved on to other projects right now.  I need to add something above and below the bird picture.  When in her room it doesn't look empty.  But in the picture it does.  So I'm still debating what to add.


This shadow box is full of family "treasures."  For my 16th birthday my Grandmother gave me three tiny boxes full of keepsakes.  I loved it then.  I love it even more now.  What I love even more is the note on which she wrote all the details of the treasures.  I tried to include it, but it just didn't fit.  In the box are her garters, evidently a "trendy" gift to give for high school graduation (in 1930); a watch and bracelet from the same year given to her by my Grandfather; my dad's baby spoon and fork (1936); and my all-time favorite children's book, We Help Mommy.  On top of the box are my other Grandfather's silver baby cup and all 3 of my kids' silver baby rattle and DD's baby cup.


I used fabric in embroidery hoops for splashes of color.


These were mine.  A gift from my Grandmother when she was in Holland.


Love, love, LOVE this picture!!!


Hankies from my Grandmother.  The middle one is from Denmark.


My German clock.  I got this when I was 5 and we backpacked through Europe.  My aunt & uncle were living in Germany at the time.  I LOVE this clock.  If you wind it up and pull down on the girl in the swing she bounces up and down while keeping time.  Amazing.  Childhood friends used to break it all the time.  It spent a lot of time in the shop and I'm afraid she might bounce all quirky now.


View from the closet.

On her door is a bulletin board from the last house.  I loved it there, but this time I hung it higher...and don't like it as much.  I think I've mentioned this before, but the former owner of this house was completely obsessed with, needs to seek professional help for her dependence upon, in love with push pins. 

They. Were.  EVERYWHERE.

And precious DD's door has a big hole in it from some horrendous poster they had there.  I loved the former owner's decorating style, but she did have a few questionable odd quirks.  One of them was her dependence upon push pins.  Ever heard of 3M?  They made brilliant peel and stick hooks for just such an oh-ccasion.

So that long description is the reason her bulletin board is hung so high.  But I'll probably change it.  It's bugging me.

No comments:

Post a Comment