Saturday, January 8, 2011

{makeover} laundry room

I can't believe I have no before pictures of our laundry room.  Unbelievable.  But basically it was a room, with lots of overflowing laundry baskets (both clean and dirty clothes), and boxes. 

Nothing cute.

Nothing fun.

But we're getting there........

So here we go.  First, this is a view from the door.  You can see my chalkboard door full of artwork, papered & chalked.  The Rubbermaid drawers are full of crafting supplies.  I would love to move them to the craft/play room, but for now Doh Doh stays out of this room...and outta these drawers.  That's a good thing.


The rug was a leftover from the other house (I have a LOT of that....hmm, perhaps I should have a garage sale). 


My big red/white/black box was one enormous steal.  I went to Creative Kitchen to buy one of these oilcloth boxes.  I wanted a different print, but this was about all they had.  I almost walked away, b/c these boxes are NOT cheap.  But they were close to sale items, and I wondered if perhaps they were marked down as well.

They were.  90% -- or was it 95%??? -- off.  YES!!  I paid like $5 or less for it.  It was before we actually moved so I don't remember all the details, but I paid more for dish towels that day than I did for this box.  Big time.

It's the little things in life......

Wish I could say the baskets next to it were on sale as well.  Alas, they were not.  They're from Target and still have the tags on them in case I have buyer's remorse.  I do this a lot.  A.  LOT.  I like them....wish the chalkboard plates were in a different spot on the side, but they do give a homey look in there.....

Love having a sink area in the laundry room.  LOVE IT!  Never had that before.  Well, except one place in college...but it was a big utility sink.  Nothin' purty.


Yes, that is a built in ironing board.  And yes, I have another ironing board next to the washer.  Call me crazy, but when I go to do big jobs of ironing I want to be in front of some good televised entertainment (hello, Golden Girls).  Not standing in a steamy laundry room listening to the sounds of fighting children.

This is the area I have left to finish.  In the corner is a vintage cake carrier that was my grandmother's.  I love it!!  I plan on filling that area with some creative storage (boxes, baskets) but probably mostly decoration.


I'm decorating with a lot of my theatre memorabilia.  Shows I've done, shows I've seen, etc.  I'm in the middle of framing Playbills, but i did hang up this old poster.  One of my all-time favorite musicals.  Saw it on Broadway with Jodi Benson playing the lead.  She's most known for being the voice of The Little Mermaid and Barbie in the Toy Story movies.  She's also a Christian....a rare find in the entertainment industry.  (Thus my exit from theatre.)


Other than the baskets from Target and the el-cheapo box from Creative Kitchen, I didn't spend any money in this room.  Cha-ching!  But frames for the Playbills and cutesy stuff for the tops of the cabinets is starting to will start to add up.  I'm trying to be good (did you read that, honey???) and take care of the more important areas first.

OH!!!  I almost forgot one of my favorite areas!  This will be a good laugh for you all.  Since I got married I have NEVER had an organized cleaning supply area.  I had an amazing cleaning lady, but she never organized the area.  And it was chaos.  And any time I tried to organize it by her next visit it was chaos again.  Well, shortly after Doh Doh was born, sadly our beloved Mrs. Melba took a full-time job and was trying to squeeze in cleaning visits to us.  With 3 kids it just wasn't working.  At.  All.  So -- sniff, sniff -- we let her go.

Over the holidays I organized my cleaning supplies!!!  It is amazing!!!!!! 


Laugh at me all you want, but I'm serious when I say the littlest things bring me the greatest joy.  Like 30 little piggies, and 30 little pingers.  ;)

Now, go clean something.  Perhaps this post inspired that.  Riiiiiiiight.

No comments:

Post a Comment