Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What, No Chocolate?

So, many of you know that I'm desperately trying to lose weight. And I've been successful so far, losing half. Many of you might NOT know that I've basically changed NOTHING at all about my lifestyle or eating habits.

And yet, quite a bit of weight I have lost.

Not sure why, after all these years, it's finally "clicked" but something inside has changed. And now, it's coming off.

And, quite honestly, so many people DON'T believe I'm a vegetarian b/c of my weight. Well, here's some news for you -- I know a LOT of overweight vegetarians. I think it's b/c we don't get enough protein. But I'll spare you my rantings.

Basically, I quit taking my acid reflux medicine...and that quite possibly is the reason I'm finally losing. I've taken the medicine for almost ten years. But no more. And now I'm halfway to my goal.

So, why this sudden talk of weight loss?? A subject I typically try to avoid? Because I'm craving CHOCOLATE. And I'm not a sweet eater. But how -- in a home with 2 sweet eaters -- is it possible that my house is completely void of all GOOD choco-products?

Well, I'm also here to share a recipe with you. I made these fantasmic lemon squares not long ago. I made them again yesterday. And if it weren't for my amazing hubs, who will finish off the entire pan tonight sans any help, I would probably be sitting down with a big glass of unsweet tea, big ole lemon wedges squeezed just so, and a massive fork.

Followed by a grin.

Le sigh. Yes, I realize I said UNsweet tea. It just might be the only thing UN-Southern about me.

I love lemon products. BUT these lemon bars, squares whatever you call 'em are low-cal. What? Did you just say low-cal? Yes, my friends, I did. And b/c I believe in eating good FOR you, that also means without any type of food substitutes. Meaning, this recipe has REAL eggs, REAL butter, and REAL sugar.

B/c that's just how I roll, folks.

This recipe is actually from Prevention Magazine, and I have yet to try one of their recipes that wasn't amazing. Although, I've only tried 4. Yes, 4. A spokesperson this does NOT make me. BUT all 4 were awesome repeats for sure.

So quit the babbling and get on with the recipe, eh? I concur.

(Before the recipe I must share that at this very moment I am in a state of total CHAOS. If you are a tennis fan, and are following the French Open, I am about to reveal SPOILERS. If you don't care a wit about tennis, read on. Federer has just been defeated by Robin Soderling. #5 in the world just beat #1. IF you heart tennis as I do, then you will know that last year Soderling beat the King of Clay Rafael Nadal at the French. A HUGE upset. This year he defeated Fed. Bestill my heart.)

On to the recipe. Let me also preface this by saying IT IS SO EASY. Novices are welcome.

This is a remake -- a healthy remake -- of classic lemon squares. If I were you, and you aren't desperately trying to reclaim the body of your youth dieting, then I'd double this recipe. A pan for your sweet man and kiddos. And a pan for you. To be eaten in the closet. With your hands. With some unsweet tea. And big lemon wedges.

You can NEVER have enough lemon.

As I've said before, I'm not a big sweet eater, so when I indulge I want the good stuff. I don't want some DIET recipe. However, I was impressed with this recipe. But remember, b/c it's a slimmed down version of the original recipe it makes a smaller amount. There is also more shortbread than lemon filling ratio, BUT if you aren't starving yourself b/c of what society says about body types then you could easily double the lemon filling. And next time I'm sure I'll do just that. You know, for my man. Yeah, for my man.

So, after delaying the goods long enough, here we go:

1 c + 3 T all-purpose flour
3/4 c sugar
1/8 t salt
1/4 c butter
1 egg
1 egg white
1 lg lemon
1/8 t baking powder
1 t confectioners' sugar (in the South we call that POWDERED sugar)

  1. Heat oven to 350. Spray 8x8 baking pan with oil.
  2. Mix 1 c of the flour, 1/4 c sugar, and salt in bowl until well combined. Cut butter into flour mixture until a crumbly dough forms.
  3. Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake until lightly golden brown. Directions say 10-12 minutes. Mine takes longer. More like 20 minutes. Watch it, people. Remove and cool.
  4. Whisk egg, egg white, and remaining 1/2 c sugar in large bowl. until combined. Grate zest and squeeze juice from lemon and add to egg mixture. Add baking powder and remaining 3 T flour. Mix thoroughly.
  5. Pour lemon mixture over cooled shortbread (if you haven't eaten entire portion of shortbread while waiting for it to cool...seriously, the shortbread could be a stand alone recipe. YUM.). Bake until set and lightly brown at egdes. 20-25 minutes.
  6. Cool and dust lightly with confectioners' sugar using mesh strainer. Cut into 16 squares.

NUTRITION (per serving): 103 cal, 2 g pro, 17 g carb, 0.5 g fiber, 3.5 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 50 mg sodium.

You can thank me later. Just make sure you thank me in lemon squares.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, who even came up with that name "confectioners"? I have to think twice whenever I read that in a recipe to remember what it *really* is!

    I gotta try this. It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete