Bedtime at our house is absolutely hilarious. Every night I do a special "tuck, tuck, tuck" with the boys. It's a long process. But apparently they can't sleep without it. Every night when I finish the whole ordeal with one and am preparing to "tuck, tuck, tuck" the brother, little arms fly around my neck and say "lay down."
Most nights I say no. Mothers, you can all relate to me on this one. Well, at least lie and say you do to make my guilt stay repressed.
Mornings and nights are the only times the house is quiet. And most days, after being with kiddos all day, I need the quiet. I shower at night. I watch TV at night. I READ at night. I do all that ME stuff at night. I also try to throw in a few hours of much needed sleep. So lying down with a squirmy -- and often still smelly -- little boy is not what I've longed for all day long.
But the nights I give in...oh, it's so worth it.
If you don't have boys (or weren't a tomboy like me) you just won't get this next part.
Tonight while Bubba was away at AWANAs, I was snuggled in tight with Bruiser. He smelled of Baby Magic. His hair still wet from bath time. His breath was warm and, for once, still smelled of toothpaste. His Buzz Lightyear jammies were warm, fuzzy, and oh so soft.
He threw his little arm around my neck and said,
"Let's tell fart stories."
I don't really allow that word. But I seriously almost wet myself when he said that. In the still of the night, sleep so very close to us, and my child wants to tell a fart story.
So, like any good mother, I told fart stories with my 4-year old. And we laughed so hard I swear I burned off all those peanut butter M&Ms.




No comments:
Post a Comment