Saturday, December 11, 2010

{be careful what u wish for}

You might remember in my last post where I said I'd love some snow so that I could have a day at home w/ the boys.

Foreshadowing at its finest.

A snowstorm hit us all right, only in the form of a stomach virus, not the pretty, white, flakey stuff that makes you want to brew hot chocolate from scratch, make my famous oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, curl up in front of the fire & watch White Christmas.

Even as I type this we are nowhere out of the woods with this one. We thought we were close. We thought we about to be singing Happy Days Are Here Again.

But alas, it is not meant to be.

It is at this point I am also hating my new iPad. I was lost finished w/ this post & w/ one slip off the hand the above was all that was left of my post.

Sigh. (Why oh why does the iPad not have a USB port for a full keyboard? Just sayin'.)

So let's speed this up a bit, shall we? I'm too lazy to type it all again. Not to mention the fact that I have very limited time until the next one vomits or "has it out the other end," to be delicate.

* Wednesday - our precious friends/neighbors show up to play, just like we all do everyday
* Later they announce their Momma's home sick w/ a stomach virus
* Didn't matter at that point. We'd all been together the day before
* Bubba heads off to AWANAs w/ them...AFTER they had dinner @ our house
* Moments later the dreaded call: their 3 y/o was throwing up
* Out came the Clorox wipes as I scrubbed everything that chubby, precious boy could've possibly touched
* I couldn't scrub down Doh Doh though...she woke up covered in vomit

Enter Sleepless Night #1

* Kept both boys home the next day b/c I'm 1 of those weird parents who believes in quarantining when sick
* Good thing b/c Bubba began throwing up mid-morning
* Fever for Bubba all night as well as achy joints

Enter Sleepless Night #2

* Friday - more vomit, and now diarrhea for Doh Doh
* Momma phones friends to have them do her share at that night's women's Christmas party @ church
* The day goes along fine...until 6 pm when Bruiser began vomiting
* He never should've bragged to his brother about not being sick

Enter Sleepless Night #3 (well, almost sleepless)

* Thank you Lord for diapers...Bruiser had both all at once, if you catch my drift
* Saturday morning: more puke (Doh Doh & Bruiser), more diarrhea (Doh Doh & Bruiser), more fever (Bruiser)
* Thank you Lord for Spot Shot carpet cleaner (yes, both were in my carpet) & mops

And now the Hubster is in bed CLAIMING his stomach is gurgling. Could be he just needs a break from all the bodily secretions. I know I do.

I've praised God the last 60 hours for *indoor plumbing *washers & dryers *Clorox wipes *wet wipes *diapers *clean water *healthy children who just have a stomach bug and not experiencing reactions to things such as chemo.

As I watched Bruiser hurl foam last night (gross ended hours ago for me) I seriously thanked God that this virus would run it's course and leave our home. I hate living in a fallen world, but would hate it even more if my children had diseases. If they were near death. If we did not have Hope. And so I'm thankful for a mere virus.

And while many of you will suggest the names of good therapists after I say this, I do have to say - all sickness aside, I'm LOVING having 3 days of nowhere to go, nothing to do time at home. Freaky? Yes. Despite the odors & the bland diets, we've done crafts, watched Christmas shows, snuggled, giggled, built countless Lego creations, played Candyland, constructed block masterpieces, & giggled some more. And Momma has held sick little ones.

And now I'm off to switch another load of laundry (washing my sheets for the 2nd time in 20 hours); wash my hands; make a Santa belly out of a red plastic cup, cotton balls & paper; check on my man; wash my hands; pray I don't get sick; make snowmen out of cotton balls & scrap fabric; wash my hands; tuck fever-stricken little fellas in; & probably wash my hands again.

Sadly, we are missing my man's company Christmas party tonight. It's in NWA. We were actually going to spend the night. Now don't laugh: it was going to be our first night TOGETHER to spend the night away from our kids. Ever. In 6 1/2 years of parenthood. That may sound extreme to you, but that's just how we roll. We were kinda excited about it.

No pretty outfit I've anxiously waited to wear. No pretty clutch to carry w/ that outfit. No big hair to try to tame. No new necklace to dazzle. No adult conversation. No ALONE time.

No big deal.

This - of course - reminds me of a Golden Girls quote. I'll actually share this one.

Dorothy is telling the girls about how years ago she had tickets to see The Beatles in concert but at the last minute one of her kids got the flu. "It was one of those times you had to pretend you loved your kids more than something you really wanted to do."

Haa!!

Well, I'd rather stay home. Pretty dress & all. I'll stay in jammies & snuggle. But only after Bubba & I make crafts. Otherwise he won't shut up.

P.s. Please pray I don't get sick!! Who would do the laundry??

No comments:

Post a Comment