Tuesday, July 23, 2013

changing my approach

I'm changing my approach to cooking.

Actually, I should probably say I'm going to start cooking.  Again.  Hilarious.

We've truly enjoyed our summer.  Lots of swimming.  Lots of hanging out with friends.  Lots of pizza.  And lots of cereal.


And my freaky obsession with french fries dipped in ice cream has been passed on to another generation.

But now that vacation is over, and summer is half over, we're starting to slow down our activities a bit.  The kids want more days at home, a little more down time.  And I'm desperate to get back to our routine.

So for the rest of the summer we're focusing more on reading, writing, cleaning, and family time.  But still plenty -- and I do mean plenty -- of swimming.

I've missed the domestic side of life since our summer began.  I'm not the type of person who likes routine, but I'm the kind of person who needs routine.  So I'm taking back our family routine this week.  Which means more cooking.  


I loved PW's tips on freezer meals in last week's episode.  She freezes grilled chicken breasts, cooked ground beef, as well as tons of meals.  I rarely freeze anything!!  And when I do, it's usually just raw meats or my meatballs.


So this week is all about cooking, freezing, and reclaiming my kitchen!  Here are a few recipes I'm planning on trying this week.  And if we like them, I plan on freezing another portion or the ingredients for quick prep the next time.


PW's Taco Pizza
My Meatballs (because I actually got ground VEAL at Fresh Market!!!!)
PW's Grilled Chicken Bacon Sliders (I plan on grilling several chicken breasts and freezing for later)
PW's Patty Melts (I have all the ingredients...and they need to be used up!)
Cheesy Taco Casserole (similar to lots of dishes I make for my vegetarian self to nosh on all week)


I don't usually cook a lot of PW's recipes.  Love her blog...although I really don't read it anymore.  Love her show...which I faithfully watch every week.  But the few recipes I've tried have seemed a little...bland.   But I never follow a recipe completely.  So I tweak and revamp and add this and that.  I'm sure I'll do that to those above as well.


Repeat recipe or ditch even the leftovers, this week is all about reclaiming the kitchen.  And family meals together.  Instead of Special K with red berries.  {I'd hang my head in shame, but I'm too busy watching my Bruiser do the worm on top of the couch.  Next to me.  As I try to type.  I love him.}


Oh, and I'm trying these muffins this week for breakfast/snacks.  Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment