Friday, November 5, 2010

I Heart Fall Y'all

Summer is the best.  Spring not far behind.  But there's something about seeing golden leaves tumble down onto rain-dampened roads that assures me Fall isn't that bad of a season after all.

As a child I never really enjoyed Halloween.  Am I the only one?  Grown adults and teenagers dressed in scarey costumes.  The very idea of pestering your neighbors by ringing their doorbells and asking for FREE candy.  Desperately trying to come up with a creative costume with a very UN-creative mother.....

But some of my favorite childhood memories are of Fall and the amazing hay rides we had.  I grew up going to a country church.  {Picture overalls worn on Sunday mornings with your GOOD red bandana hanging out the back; polyester dresses; hats with netting (yes, a little veil covering your eyes!  Oh, those were the days); the little white church building with a steeple over a 100 years old; a dirt road, surrounded by horses -- including 2 of my own.  Our 15 minute drive there (literally over the river and through the woods) felt as if I was transported back at least 50 years.}

Every Fall one farmer took the kids on a hayride.  We followed along the dirt roads on his farm until we reached the top of a hill (which is now home to a Walmart Supercenter AND a housing development) where a roaring bonfire awaited us.  A few years we even had a barn party in one of his old barns he no longer used.  We bobbed for apples, had sing-alongs (my dad on guitar or banjo), and did all kinds of old-timey games.  Other years, after the barn fell down!, it was just at the church building.  IT WAS DELIGHTFUL.  You've heard me talk about KK, my childhood friend whose baby is still at Children's and some days she's good other days not so good.  Well, KK and I waited all year long for the hayrides.  They were the highlight of our Fall social season.  Ha.

I hope my kids have just as fond memories of their Falls.  Right now they're not too interested in creative costumes as much as picking out their favorite characters from Target.  No matter what they wear they sure look CUTE.

Of course, after I post this picture you all will question my girl-mothering abilities.  You probably should.


Yes, my DAUGHTER, my only girl, is dressed as a fighter pilot.  Sigh.



Quite honestly, I didn't have a costume for her.  Our church didn't do our Fall Festival this year (everything burned in the fire!!) so we weren't really going anywhere.  AND after strep throat, then an ear infection, the last thing on my mind was a Halloween costume.  (Please remember I've never really enjoyed this holiday!!)  So as we began to get ready for our big outting to the grandparents' houses I was putting an EXTREMELY cute orange striped dress and polka dot tights on my girl.  I was topping it off with a retro apron complete with cookbook, whisk, and spoon.  But my boys had other ideas.......

This outfit has been wore by all 3 of my babies.  The boys' wore it for 2 Halloweens apiece.  I promise I won't make Doh Doh wear it again next year.

Hold me to that promise.



Bruiser refused to wear his costume.  Until we told him he had to be in costume just to get candy.  That's the fastest I've ever seen him get dressed.



This was Woody's second year to make an appearance at our house.  This year, however, Bubba assured us the Woody hat was too small.  (Have I ever mentioned his Charlie Brown head??)  So he wore this disgusting display of a hat lovely piece he got from my parents.  He looks like my dad's buddy who lets the boys come and ride horses on his farm.



I thought she was SUPER cute.  Perhaps the '50s style apron would've been cuter.  BUT at least this year her brothers can claim they got to pick her costume.  They probably won't get that opportunity again.

The highlight of our evening was handing out candy.  We don't get as much traffic at this house, so next year we'll need to make adjustments.  But I'd say all in all -- despite El Super Taco being closed so we didn't get the cheese dip we promised the boys -- it was a great evening. 

Maybe next year I can throw together a hayride and barn party.  Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. I think they all look adorable!! And trust me, these will be cherished memories, even though the boys may never choose her costume again, they won't forget the time they did get to help!! : )

    ReplyDelete