Saturday, July 24, 2010

It's Radical, Man

As I've told you before, I'm reading Radical, by David Platt.

I'm literally pages away from being finished with the book.  I know, I know.  It normally doesn't take me this long to read a book.  However, since this is nonfiction -- and I'm a total fiction junkie -- I'm trying to read in the quiet hours of the day so that I can soak it all in.  Basically, that means I'm reading only after the kids are asleep.  That's also the time I clean up the kitchen, clean up the house, put away laundry, shower, shave my legs, menu plan, grocery plan, watch Golden Girls, and very occasionally SLEEP.  Oh, and try to prop up my feet.

But that's why it's taking me longer than usual.  I am trying to read and digest the heavy content.

But I want to encourage YOU to read it.  Even if you aren't a believer and have questions about Christianity.  Oftentimes, we Christians aren't the greatest examples of our Lord and Savior.  I've said it before, but this is when I like to say that Christ is our ultimate example.  People will fail you every time.

So many of the things in Radical are things that have been on my mind for a long time.  It's amazing to read them in black and white in front of me.  I promise to give you a more detailed book review when I'm finished.  But let me just share this quote from my brother's blog.  I sure hope he doesn't mind.  :o)

"There are books that are meaningful and then there are books that hit you right where you are and with what you need. As if time stands still, God uses a writer to grab your attention, and in my case, drop me to my knees."

That sums it up for me as well.  Get the book.  Read it.  And then pass it on.  But just a warning:  if you view Christianity as an "accept Christ and then sit back and do nothing" type of conversion, this book will be a difficult read.  But that's exactly why you do need to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment