Wednesday, June 19, 2013

vacation reading list

our vacation is coming soon.  and while baseball season is drawing to a close, we're still feeling the exhaustion and the readiness for this season to be over.  

it's hard to think about vacation in the midst of...

double headers
kids with swimmer's ear

boys talking in silly voices while playing cars
the constant discussion about who has what state quarters

the constant changing of princess dresses
the princess hiding under her bed whenever i raise my voice


my man has already started his vacation packing list.  he's even started programming in addresses to his gps.  bubba has already started his list as well...and has even stacked up what books he wants to take with him.  {sigh}


i have done none of those things.  as in nada.  zilch.  zero.  nothin' but nothin'.  and i'm a-ok with that.

but sitting here, listening as my kids act so silly that nothing coming out of their mouths makes any sense, i'm beginning to long for think of vacation.  in fact, i just sought the solitude of my room.  and a frasier recorded on my dvr.  


late ball games = silly children
{it's an early bed night}


so i'm making my own kind of list.  that has nothing to do with packing.  or addresses.  or sightseeing destinations.


2013 Vacation Reading List

1.  Theology with Kids:  16 Devotionals About Who God Is, by Chris Moore.  This is a new e-book written by the pastor at Fellowship Bible here in Fort Smith (and our very good friend!).  It's hard to say our "former" church.  Despite leaving Fellowship for the PCA church plant my brother started, we are still involved there and absolutely love it.  Chris is an amazing teaching pastor and after just reading the intro of this book, I know I'm going to love it.  I want to read through it before starting it with our kids.  I know it will be an after-vacation summer must-do for us!

2.  A Taste of Heaven:  Worship in the Light of Eternity, by R.C. Sproul.  I've read half of this book already.  I just need to finish it.  If you've never read Sproul before, please oh please pick up one of his books and read it.  Pronto!  I must confess, my man has badgered me for years to read him...I'm just now jumping on the bandwagon.  This is an easy read.  And he explains baptism in the PCA church so very well. 


3.  Stealing the Preacher, by Karen Witemeyer.  Ok, a little fluff.  I've read a couple of Witemeyer's other books.  The other day I was scrolling through Amazon's suggestions for me and this was on the list.  Not sure if I'll like it or not...but I'm going to give it a try.  I love fiction.  But I have a hard time with too much fluff.  So we shall see....

4.  Respectable Sins:  Confronting the Sins We Tolerate, by Jerry Bridges.  We recently had Jerry Bridges come to Covenant here in Fort Smith.  It was an exciting time!!  A very soft spoken man, he had wonderful things to say.  He spoke on koinonia, true community.  It was a great weekend conference.  I grabbed this book to read, along with a few others, but I plan on reading this one first.  His writing doesn't quite flow like Sproul, but it's still a definite must read.

5.  Someday, Someday, Maybe, by Lauren Graham.  I almost hate to post this book.  I haven't read it.  I don't know anyone who has read it.  And I really don't know much about it.  It could be filled with filth.  I could read 4 pages of it and put it down, never to pick it up again.  (I did that with a summer book a few years ago.  Utter trash.)  Unless a classic, I primarily stick to Christian authors.  While I will probably disagree with the majority of their theology, I can be guaranteed a filthy-free book.  But I've loved Lauren Graham since her days on Gilmore Girls.

And this book is about an actress trying to make it in NYC.  So yeah, it struck a chord with me.  I know I'll be able to relate.  Let's just hope it's a good read!!


For a summer reading list with your kiddos, see my other post here.  Or check out our summer viewing list here.  Some true classics on both lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment