Thursday, January 3, 2013

beautiful post

Do you read Ashley's blog?  You should.  But I'm sure you already do.  I mean, who doesn't?

Have you read this post?  You should.  It's beautiful.  


Tomorrow her sweet daughter, Little One, is having surgery for her cleft palate.  As I was reading her post tears came to my eyes.  I'm not the best at posting comments on people's blogs.  I read, but very rarely comment.  


But today...oh, today.  Her post spoke to me.  Got to me.  Tugged on me.  And it made me remember.  And so today I left a comment.  And as I was typing it, I thought I'd share it with you. I really don't know why.  Maybe it's because I'm realizing that my babies are growing up.  And as the poem goes, "babies don't keep."  Doh Doh is no longer in diapers.  She still wears one at night and I'm clinging to that as long as possible.  I miss the rustle of her diaper.  I miss cuddling with her in those polka dot diapers.  She no longer takes naps in the afternoons.  Oh, how I miss her warm cheeks when she would wake up.  I miss cuddling together when she was still groggy.  I miss getting underneath the warm covers and stealing kisses.


I miss my boys at that age, too.  I realize how much I've forgotten.  I savored those moments.  But they were gone way too fast.


But back to my comment.  Five years ago my Bruiser had surgery for tubes.  Actually, over the years he ended up having 3 sets of tubes.  But before the first set we discovered he was almost completely deaf.  Completely deaf in one ear, and limited partial hearing in the other.  


And it made sense.  At not even 2 years old he read lips, couldn't speak much and what he did say could only be interpreted by Momma.  But oh! those sparkly eyes, those misunderstood noises and "words."  Yes, getting tubes meant he could hear.  Meant he would learn to speak.  But...well, there are days I miss the before.  Days I miss his innocence.  


I daresay there are times Ashley will miss the "before" days.  Miss her clefty sugars.  Her precious grins.  That dependence on Momma.  She'll love the future as well...but that "before" time will be sweet, sweet memories.


I love that she has savored that time with her daughter.  Love that she has documented all of that.  I love that she is such a "real" person, perfectly willing to share flaws and details of her every day life.



Happy New Year!  Hope you're savoring every moment!  Especially if your babies are little.  Steal some slobbery sugars for me, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment